sábado, 8 de mayo de 2010

The story of my life: (why i love music)

THe Store of my life!

WHy i love music?

I remember since i was a little child 4 years old maybe? I had a 7” of He-man Masters of the universe! I can imagine the record in my head as it was back then (around 88, the best era in hardcore) and how i listen to it every single day with my brother. I remember that my mother used to listen to music all the time, from what I can recall is the beatles, scott mckenzie, little eva, and the list goes on and on. Now that I think about it, I really don’t know when my mom stopped listening to all this music. Back when I was young my brother was my ally in everything. My brother and i grew up in a catholic environment. I remember that almost everything was considered to be a sin in my house, I was always prohibited to do a lot of stuff and I grew up with a lot of fear since I did not want to disappoint my parents. At the age of 8, my brother introduced me to some bands he had listened to in school. Some of this where: Metallica (instantly made me want to play drums), Nirvana (the band that changed my life) and guns n roses. I remember listening to electric guitars, fast riffs, and plain noise. In seconds I fell in love with music, there is so much you can express with it. Hell if you feel sad you can write a song that will express your sadness to anyone that’s hearing it or happiness or whatever emotion. I thought this was inspiring.

I remember my parents took me to the record store to buy my first CD ever. This was exciting, (back then CDs came with a cartboard box on the outside). This first record blew my mind away. Nirvana “nevermind”, this is still one of my favorite records ever. When I heard this I felt how anger and dissapointment could be expressed instantly. Ever since I was a little child I questioned a lot of things, I have always disagreed with everything. I might say im the black sheep of my whole family. I did not grew to be what they expected to be, but I guess I did pretty ok. After this I was so inspired by this whole “alternative/grunge “ era. I never knew it was pretty much punk rock. But anyways as I grew older I acquired more and more records. My taste in music changed since I was blown away by the DIY hardcore punk community. I started to preach my thoughts in bands, fanzines . I remember that everyday the only thing that made me happy was getting home from school and listen to my cds. Music gave me spirit, strength and ideas.

As I grew up I met different people that I believe taught me the most valuable lessons in my life. I learned a lot about hardcore and punk rock since the age of 10. I learned that you can question authority and practically enjoy doing what you like by reading lyrics that weren’t the classic “I love you song”. Fuck I remember bands that sounded so rough and old and they screamed their lungs out. This made me feel alive, back then growing up in a “prep school” where everybody wanted to be the perfect young rich kid, I was the other side of the coin. I was vegetarian since age 14, everyone didn’t understood me then ( I think they still don’t), and thought I was weird. Their thoughts made me want to be more weird, to tell you the truth I never like to fit molds, I like to do things my way.

What I would like to leave with this post is that my ideas, my inspiration, the way I act is pretty much based on the morals I learned through the hardcore punk community. Hardcore is more than music, hardcore is a way of living and a way of acting for yourself. Nowadays I enjoy all types of music, but nevertheless I will truly love what built me as a person today.

Live the life you love, love the life you live.

We are only here once! So start enjoying yourself

SEIZE THE MOTHERFUCKING DAY

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario